Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Altec 416-8b

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Altec 416-8b

    I ran across a pair of 416-8B's in the classifieds about two hours from my house (four hour round trip). I asked the guy to send me photos of them and he finally sent me one photo of each woofer. I realize this photo isn't the best but it's the only one of this woofer I could get from him (click on it to make it full size). I noticed that it looks different than the woofers in my Model 19's. It seems to have more adhesive (is that what it's called?) around the dust cap compared to mine. It also has a 2-3 inch or so horizontal line coming out from the dust cap at around three o'clock on the woofer. Also, does the black "goop" covering the surround look excessive or melted? Are any of these things signs of a sloppy recone or other problem? I guess my main question is HOW DOES THIS WOOFER LOOK TO THE EXPERTS OUT THERE? I realize of course, that even if it looks ok I'll still have to listen to it and check it for rubs etc. but I figured if it doesn't look good in the photo for whatever reason it would save me a four hour round trip. Thanks in advance for anyone who chimes in on this......416b2

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 416-8b

    It looks like the screen that would normally cover the vent is missing. I'd guess somebody cut the dustcap removed the screen and re-glued it. The line? Maybe stray glue? A fixed accidental cut? You didn't mention the price....... if they're cheap enough it won't matter so much.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 416-8b

    'Adhesive', 'cement', 'glue' works for me.

    Looks like a sloppy re-cone to me with the surround sealer added after the gasket was installed plus it doesn't match any I have or recall during the 8B's run, but it could be a later repair kit. Then again, this late 8B brochure shows what appears to be the same gasket complete with sealer slopped up on the side of the gasket, so...............

    Can't tell what the line is unless it's just a 'boo-boo' from installing the DC.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  4. #4
    HB Super Moderator
    Altec 416-8b


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 416-8b

    The glue around the dust cap looks excessive also as A.B.G. noted if they are cheap enough it doesn't matter because you could always have Bill Recone them properly.But if he is asking alot ???? Your Call

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 416-8b

    I emailed him to tell him I'm not interested in the speakers (since it seems from all the comments that these were reconed--but not by GPA or by Altec and I don't want to take a chance on a sloppy recone job). He was asking $300 for the pair and I wasn't going to pay that and then have to pay to have them reconed properly as well. If he would have been asking half that I would have bought them and sent them to GPA for a full recone/remagnetization. He emailed me back saying they had sold anyways..... Thanks to everyone for the advice!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.